Sunday, May 19, 2013

to fail is to learn.

It's been a week since I was officially a student (and a week since I've posted on here. I've received my marks back am I delighted to have got a a 1st for my combined dissertation. I took a big risk on it and clearly it payed off. I've realised since leaving uni that the last 3 years have been an absolute fantastic opportunity to fail. Yep. fail. In the 'real world' we can't fail, we're expected to succeed post uni. So how do we learn to do this...by taking risks, FAILING and learning...because if uni isn't for learning what is it for? I wish that I had had this epiphany sooner because I would have taken more risks to learn as many lessons I could have before failing is less accepted. To those students who didn't fail university...1. well done and 2. WHEN you do come across a failure (which you will do because everybody does..and its ok, its not a negative!)are you going to have the skills to pick yourself back up? With my history of failures, I know i will...and they have made me a stronger and more capable person.


This is an image of 'YOUniverse'- a project that started as a completely and utter meltdown. I learnt from this failure and ended up selling the final piece. For me, this was a real turning point to looking at failure as a positive and since then I've had more success than ever before. 

I started a new job the weekend after hand-in (and incidentally the day after I moved home-no rest for the wicked!). I now work for the contemporary and stylish interior products company 'Dwell'. I'm super excited about working for Dwell-I've learnt that they are a fantastic company to work for if your looking to improve and grow your individual skills. I am first and foremost a sales consultant-which happens to be rather easy as the products seem to sell themselves but I am also the stores visual merchandiser. I feel really lucky to have nabbed a job so quickly after uni, but Im really stocked that its this particular one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment